Paralympic Schools Week 2015 resources now available
May 11th, 2015
This message is on behalf of the Canadian Paralympic Committee.
OTTAWA – Feb. 26, 2015 – The Canadian Paralympic Committee, in partnership with Petro-Canada, is pleased to announce that registration is now open for the 2015 edition of Paralympic Schools Week, which will be held nation-wide from May 4 to 8, 2015.
All schools across Canada are invited to enter in to a draw to win one of 25 free Paralympic athlete presentations at their school. Meet Paralympic athletes, learn about their journeys in sport and see their medals up close!
This is a fantastic opportunity for teachers, students and communities to show support for Team Canada and get active in sport. The Parapan American Games take place from August 7 to 15, 2015.
To register, go to www.paralympic.ca/paralympic-schools-week. (Registration is now closed)
Along with the chance for athlete visits, there are many additional ways for schools and students to get involved in the Paralympic spirit as part of Paralympic Schools Week, by:
- Trying out activities from CPC’s Paralympic FUNdamental Physical Literacy Resource. Packed with easy-to-use activity plans, the resource is a great way to include kids of all abilities seamlessly into your programming;
- Participating in an exclusive LIVE CISCO Web Presentation on Tuesday, May 5 featuring Canadian Paralympic athletes who will deliver an inspiring and motivational presentation;
- Designing “Good Luck” post cards, posters and letters to encourage Team Canada athletes on their Road to Rio;
- Holding a “Wear Red and White Day” to show your support for Team Canada;
- Participating in the #CoinsForCanada fundraiser to support grants to local and provincial organizations for introductory parasport equipment such as sit-skis, wheelchairs and hand cycles;
- Creating your own video about parasport;
- Coming up with your own innovative ways to celebrate the Paralympic movement, parasport and our Team Canada athletes.
“At Petro-Canada, we understand the importance of education and how knowledge can, in turn, foster an understanding of inclusion, reflection and inspiration,” said Marc Goodman, Director, Loyalty and Marketing Partnerships, Suncor Energy Inc., proud owner of Petro-Canada.
“We hope teachers and students across the country will enjoy learning about the Paralympic Movement and our Canadian sports heroes through the Petro-Canada Paralympic Schools Week 2015 initiative. We know you will have fun doing it.”