As with other things that are earned, being on a school team comes with responsibility that one must fulfill. Every time you put on an EDSS uniform you represent yourself, your family, your coach, your team, and your school. How you behave during practice and games will be seen by other teams, coaches, and fans. You are, in essence, an ambassador for our school and it is very important to us that you conduct yourself in both your student role and athletic role in the best possible manner. Below you will find a list of expectations to which all EDSS student athletes must adhere.
- You are expected to attend all games and practices. Appointments etc., should be scheduled outside of your practice/game schedule (if possible). If for any reason you cannot attend a practice/game, you must personally speak to your coach before your absence. Missing practices and/or games may result in reduction or loss of playing time.
- You are expected to be in full attendance at school at all times. In order to play on a specific game day, players must be in attendance at school, unless the coach had been forewarned of a valid reason, e.g. Doctors appointment. Players must participate fully in classes on game days, including Health and Physical Education classes, and arrange to write tests in advance of absence. Repeat offences may result in removal from the team.
- Once you have made a Team you may not quit the team without the coach’s permission. If you quit without permission, you are ineligible to try out for other WCSSAA sports teams (in any school) for one full year; any fees paid are non-refundable.
- You must travel to games on the bus. You are a team! Coaches often use the bus ride to discuss strategy and this is when team bonding occurs – use the bus ride to get motivated against your opponent. If driving is needed on occasion – speak to your coach about these arrangements.
- Athletes may be picked up at games by their parents. Athletes are not allowed to travel with anyone other than their parents unless they have returned the completed Consent for Ongoing Off-Campus Activities Form (permission to travel in volunteer driven vehicles) IS-04-F-3.
- ALL EDSS STUDENT ATHLETES MUST HAVE A VALID STUDENT ACTIVITY CARD.
- ALL EDSS STUDENT ATHLETES MUST PAY THE REQUIRED TEAM FEE AND ANY ADDITIONAL FEES BEFORE THEY RECEIVE ANY UNIFORM/EQUIPMENT AND PLAY IN ANY EXHIBITION OR LEAGUE GAME.
- Any student who is suspended for any reason may face additional penalties on their team.
All student athletes should strive to:
Be a responsible student, a good citizen and a dedicated team member.
Be polite, respectful, helpful and a good role model to others.
Demonstrate good sportsmanship at all times and team pride.
Understand that winning is desirable but in sport, playing your best is all you can do!
Be gracious in winning and losing.
Be respectful of officials at all times.
Understand that the only way to play the game is fairly and cleanly.