June 5th, 2020
Starting the week of June 15, WRDSB students and families will have the opportunity to safely empty their lockers and retrieve personal items from their schools.
Families can expect to receive information directly from their school about the retrieval process, including the dates and times families should arrive at their school.
The health and safety of our students and staff remain our top priority. We require everyone to complete the Government of Ontario’s self-assessment before they arrive at school. If the assessment directs you to stay home and monitor your health or get tested for COVID-19, do not come to the school. You can contact your school to make alternate arrangements to retrieve your items.
Guidelines for retrieving your personal items
We have worked closely with the Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services to ensure students and families can safely retrieve their personal belongings.
We are asking individuals arriving at schools to comply with the following:
- Sanitize your hands: Hand sanitizer stations will be available at all school entrances, and you must sanitize your hands before entering the school.
- Bring your own personal protective equipment: We recommend that when possible, visitors follow public health advice and wear a non-medical grade mask during their visit. Masks will not be provided.
- Maintain physical distance: Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services guidelines must be followed at all times, both inside and outside the school. Individuals must maintain a distance of six feet from non-family members at all times.
- No access to school areas: Access to other areas of the school, including washrooms and the Main Office, is not allowed.
- When retrieving items from student lockers, we ask that Only ONE individual is allowed to retrieve student belongings. Exceptions will be made in extenuating circumstances. For elementary students who have lockers, one family member may accompany the child into the school to retrieve their belongings.
- Students are asked to remember their locker combination: Students should bring their locker combinations with them when retrieving items. If they cannot remember the combination, locks will be removed by WRDSB staff.
- Time in schools: Individuals will have a maximum of 15 minutes to enter the school and retrieve their belongings from their lockers. A ‘collection kit’ will be provided upon entry to the school for students to use.
- For families with students who do not have a locker, your child’s belongings will be gathered by the classroom teacher. These items will be made available for you to come to the school, during a scheduled time, and pick them up. The pick-up schedule, location and expectations to do this safely, will be communicated to you by your school’s Principal.
Schools will provide families with additional information, including school-specific protocols and check-in and check-out procedures. Please review the instructions sent by your school before your arrival. If an alternative time or date is needed, we encourage our families to work with their school administration to determine alternative options.
If you have any questions or concerns about the retrieval process, please reach out to your school.
Thank you for your patience as we work through this process to ensure the health and safety of our families and staff.
We encourage families and community members to visit the Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services website for accurate and up-to-date information on how COVID-19 is impacting our region.